26 June 2023UNEP on 26 June will organised an online seminar to present the UNEP’s Strategy for Private Sector Engagement and answer questions on the possible ways for partnership development.
The meeting was moderated by Sylvie Motard, Deputy Regional Director, UNEP Europe Office and Vladimir Moshkalo, Head, UNEP Russia Office.
The meeting was attended by representatives of RUSAL, En+, PhosAgro, ALROSA, Severstal, Metalloinvest, Nornickel, Rosatom, Polus, RSPP, RUSS-INVEST, ACIG and representatives of , SBER, Sovcombank, Vnesheconombank.
There were presentations at the on-line seminar:
• Natalia Alekseeva, Coordinator, UN Decade on Ecosystems Restoration, UNEP Headquarters (Nairobi, Kenya)
"Opportunities for Private Sector to Partner with the UN Decade on Ecosystems Restoration".
• Alison Gray Cains, Head of Privat Sector Unit, UNEP Headquarters (Nairobi, Kenya)
"Private Sector Engagement: Business as an Important Partner to Find the Solutions to Global Environmental Challenges".
The presentations were followed by Q&A.
Nowdays, consultations on MOU development between UNEP and UN Global Compact Network Russia (RUNGCN) are in progress. The following themes for cooperation are discussed:
• Involvement of the Russian corporate sector in the UN Decade of Ecosystem Restoration (together with FAO).
• Business and Biodiversity (involving CBD Secretariat).
• Combatting Plastic Pollution (including participation of the RUNGCN in INC on Plastic Pollution.
• Participation of the RUNGCN in UNEA-6 (26 February - 1 March 2024).
One of the key points raised by the RUNGCN at the meeting on 31 March concerns interaction of UNEP with the private sector to understand how difficult/easy it is now to launch a new partnership with a Russian company.